Search This Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pickled Kale

A great way to use kale - keeps in the fridge for up 2 weeks. Yummy thrown into salads - not at all woody or bitter (I'll be posting some recipes - soon:). BTW the stick in the jar is my spurdle (traditional Scottish porridge-stirring stick - I use it ALL the time for various stuff in the kitchen) basically just a piece of dowling that has been buffed and rounded on the edge - I used it to pack the kale & onions down into the jar.

Pickled Kale
  • One large bunch of kale shredded (cut out the ribs)
  • 1/2 medium onion sliced (I used red but I think a yellow onion would probably be really tasty too)
  • 1tsp of salt
  • 1/4c olive oil
  • 1tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 to 3C of apple cider vinegar or ume plum vinegar
Mix olive oil, maple syrup and salt together in a bowl add kale use your hands and massage into the kale until limp pour ACV  or  ume vinegar over all and mix well. Pack well into a mason jar put on lid and store in fridge until needed. Let sit at least 2 or 3 hours before using.

The idea for pickling Kale comes from the Choose Healthy Food website (I've tweaked the recipe a bit to make it raw) - lots of Kale ideas here!

4 comments:

m-cat said...

YUM! This sounds delicious!! Will make the great leap forward to kale....

Berry Blue Toes said...

Yay! I'm making a salad with it when it is pickled to my satisfaction:) I'll post when it is done.

OK said...

Nicely done!

rachel said...

I thought the picture was an arm reaching into a huge tub of pickled kale!!!!
It looks good.