Search This Blog

Friday, August 14, 2009

Doesn't everyone know what a spirooli is?

Sometimes I forget that at one point I didn't have any idea what a spirooli was. Now I often wonder if I could live without one.
A spiral slicer cuts veg into long thin noodle shaped strips. There are many different kinds of spiral slicers and debates about which ones are better. Mine is a spirooli like the one pictured on the right and I love it. Some people will tell you to buy a Joyce Chen Spiral Slicer or a Benriner I guess it comes down to personal preference.

In addition to my beloved spirooli a few other essential items I now have in my kitchen are.
  • Mandoline (makes quick work of slicing sweet potatoes for chips or other veg for salad wraps).
  • Excalibur Dehydrator (they are pricey but, much better than the cheaper round version we all remember from the 80-90s) - buy the teflex sheets - non stick sheets for making fruit leathers or anything goopy on - I tried using wax paper when I first got mine. The teflex is worth the extra cost. Some things will dry right into wax paper or cling film.
  • Vitamix (high powered blender - as a colleague said "you could blend a stick of wood in those things - again they are pricey but won't let you down - better to buy one good blender than dozens of cheaper models I think).
  • Food Processor
  • Juicer (I have a Jack Lalanne Pro Juicer for my fruit - I use my blender and a nut mylk bag for my green juices - I may upgrade to a green star juicer at some point)
  • Coffee Grinder - I use this almost everyday to blend small seeds (ie mustard) and dried herbs
  • Good quality knives
  • Sprouting plates and jars (any wide mouthed mason jar will work - I use terracotta plates to sprout smaller seeds like flax - I'll post photos of my sprouts later)
Sieves/Nut Mylk Bags/Good Quality Knives/Wood Cutting Board and if you enjoy ice cream and sherbets a good quality ice cream maker comes in handy as well (mine is cuisinart).... I buy most of my kitchen stuff from Upayana Naturals (there is a link at the bottom of my page). They ship across Canada. I've been really impressed with their service and most things have come in less than 2 weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I'm a fellow Canuck going raw and I needed to know where to find these things.