I read an interesting article recently on the effects of fermented foods on people on restricted diets to control Hashimotos. It seems certain fermented food cause some to react with hives, swelling of the face or throat, a headache, nasal congestion, skin problems, a racing heart, anxiety, watery red eyes, heartburn, or irritability. The suggestion is that this may be a histamine intolerance and not an allergic reaction this is makes narrowing down the reason for the reaction more problematic because histamine intolerance builds over time. If you are working on repairing your gut you may want to avoid certain high histamine foods. I've copied a list below. Link to the original article is after the list.
- Fish and shellfish, unless freshly caught
- Processed, smoked, fermented meats
- Leftover meats (bacteria act on leftovers, producing histamines)
- All fermented milk products, including all cheeses, yogurt, buttermilk, and kefir
- Some fruits: Citrus, strawberries, apricots, cherries, grapes, raspberries, pineapple, cranberries, prunes, loganberries, dates, raisins, currants
- Some vegetables: Tomatoes and tomato products, spinach, red beans, eggplant, olives, pumpkin, avocado, pickles, relishes, and other foods containing vinegar
- Food additives: Tartrazine, artificial colors, preservatives, especially benzoates and sulfites (check your medications and supplements)
- Seasonings: Cinnamon, cloves, vinegar, chili powder, anise, curry powder, nutmeg
- Miscellaneous: Fermented soy (miso, soy sauce), fermented foods, tea, chocolate, cocoa, cola drinks, alcoholic beverages, and de-alcoholized beer and wine.