Search This Blog

Friday, June 18, 2010

Wild Harvesting - Spuce Tips


The little young tips on the ends of Spruce Trees a little lighter than the rest of the tree (new growth) used locally in Jellies, syrups and beers are a great source of vitamin c in the frontier days in North America they were used to prevent scurvy. They are also pretty tasty to nibble straight up :) on a hike if you like things that are a bit tart. Make sure you only take the soft new growth older bits that are hard will taste like turpentine! I've been blending a few into my smoothies in the morning and really enjoying them. Spruce tips can be gathered and used throughout the year, but they are best during the spring.

Spruce Tip Tea:
  • Use 8-10 spruce tips
  • 3 cloves
  • 1drop of vanilla (or half a vanilla bean scraped)
  • maple syrup to taste
in a medium tea pot cover with boiling water let stand for 8 minutes before serving. More recipes coming...

Sources:
http://homeschoolblogger.com/frontierfreedom/archives/782611
http://medcookingalaska.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-harvest-spruce-tips-with-recipes.html

2 comments:

evergreen said...

Oh my goodness, girl! I can't keep up with you lately:) I love all these wonderful posts lately, and really want to try making rosewater and this tea sometime:) Thanks!

Berry Blue Toes said...

Lol thanks again Evergreen. I'm on fire about it - I guess you can tell. I'm in love with the idea of harvesting from the forest around me. I can't wait to get into my kitchen this weekend!