Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Barefoot - Grounding...


I'm one of those people who has a problem keeping their shoes on - especially in the summer. As soon as I get home at night the shoes come off and my toes rejoice. Okay to be honest I don't always wait until I get home. I've been known to pad around the office sans shoes because I've forgotten to slip my flip flops back on from time to time.

I'm a beach walker, a water wader - I love the feeling of mud, grass, warm soil, cool cement & sand on my feet. I feel more peaceful and connected when I'm barefoot. When I was younger I wanted to become a surfer and I swear one of the biggest draws was the idea that I could walk around barefoot all day.

So when I received an email from David Wolfe this week on Barefoot walking and Grounding Technology I was intrigued. He claims there is enormous benefit to walking barefoot and connecting with the earth "skin to skin". Wolfe says the earth is mobilized with antioxidant (negatively charged) electrons that flow into our bodies the moment we connect without shoes to the ground. The human body conducts electricity and we pick up static. When we wear rubber soled shoes the rubber acts as an insulator preventing our electricity from flowing into to ground. Another site states "The incidence of mental illness dramatically increased when people started wearing rubber shoes (became popular in the 60s). Before that most people wore leather, which allowed the electricity to pass through." Some people feel that connecting barefoot with the earth helps to reduce inflammation in the body and reduces the effects of aging - even if it is just for a few minutes a day. When you walk barefoot pressure points in the soles of your feet are massaged. Doctors have been recommending to patients with varicose veins that they try walking barefoot when at home to reduce swelling for years.

Hey it can't hurt it, might help and it feels good so I'm keeping my shoes off...

No comments: