Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Beets - Bad Blogger


Life has taken over for the past few months. I apologize for my absence. One reason I haven't had much to say lately is that my eating habits have moved more into a traditional vegan diet over the winter months. Lots of rice/beans and cooked veggies. I've been trying to decide if I will add my cooked dishes to this blog which so far has been mainly focused on raw foods and juicing ... Pondering. In the mean time I wanted to post a little something about juicing & Beets.

Beets… Are chock full of Calcium, Sodium, Vitamin A, Sulfur, Vitamin B6, Iron, Potassium and oxalic acid... It isn't a good idea to drink beet juice straight up it should be mixed with other veg - Pure beet juice can increase your heart rate, cause chills or a fever, give you hives and even temporarily paralyze your vocal chords! Yikes - this has never happened to me and I drink Beet juice on a semi regular basis - but be sensible don't juice and down 4 or 5 whole beets at a time. 1/2 a small beet mixed with other veg and an apple is plenty for one day's serving. Why? Because both the beet bulb and greens are powerful body cleansers - particularly of the blood and kidneys.

Beets (including beet greens) should be avoided by those who suffer from or are at risk for kidney stones, gout, or rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis and those whose stomach is easily irritated because of the high amount of oxalic acid in them. You should also avoid combining beets with other vegetables that are high in calcium, such as broccoli. Oxalic acid combines with calcium to create an indigestible compound. You should avoid eating calcium rich food immediately after eating or juicing beets or any food high in oxalic acid. This includes foods like tofu.

No comments: