Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2012

Herbal Vinegars - the basics


I know I'm a terrible blogger. I've become so totally involved in my "little" herbal apothecary business that everything else has fallen by the wayside. Including taking care of myself. I'm getting myself back in hand and posting to my blog about my health and the food I'm loving always helps... I've decided to do a posting today on Herbal Vinegars. I've been outside the past few days harvesting for my potions and lotions and have gathered an abundance of a few things that I've decided to turn into vinegars. The great thing about making herbal vinegars is they are a simple way to use up herbs that you don't have time to dry out or generally muck about with. 

 Most *tonic vinegars are made using an apple cider vinegar base but, if you want to just make a salad dressing base or marinade you can use any type of vinegar. Herbal vinegars are easy to make and can last for ages and ages (we're talking years). 


Did you know? Herbal vinegars are “enriched” by infusing the vinegar with the fresh plants. Infused vinegar is mineral rich, due to its ability to extract the minerals from plants Not only is the vinegar transformed into a mineral rich liquid, but because vinegar can increase calcium and other mineral absorption by as much as 1/3, the minerals from the plants become more bio-available. 


To make herbal vinegars you will need some sterilized jars or bottles, some vinegar ( I prefer using apple cider or a good quality balsamic as a base) and of course some herbs.
Try to gather your herbs on a dry day. You can include the stems in your bottles, stuff the herbs into your bottles and cover with vinegar stuff your bottles as full as possible with herbs and fill with vinegar until not quite touching the cap of your bottle. When you are done give them a little stir with a bamboo skewer to bring any bubbles to the top then put on the lid (tightly) -and that is it (simple right?!). Try not to use any metal utensils or bowls for marinating or preparing vinegars (they will leave a metallic taste).

If you like you can "steep" your vinegar in a sunny window to help it infuse faster - but be aware this can make your vinegar cloudy eventually. 


A few ideas

  • Chives
  • Rosemary
  • Sage (great for sore throats)
  • Nettle (upset stomachs)
  • Citrus (in white vinegar makes a great kitchen cleaner)
  • Cranberry (great on salads)
  • Garlic & Hot Peppers (salads)
  • Dandelion (use the heads to add a nice honey flavour to vinegars) (roots have a nice rich flavour and are good for your liver)
  • Dill
  • Basil
  • Juniper Berries
  • Mustard Seed
  • Spruce Buds
  • White Pine Needles
  • Chickweed
  • Kale (check out my pickled Kale recipe) 
* I can't remember if I've posted before on how to make your own apple cider vinegar. If no I'll post soon - if yes I'll add the link!

I did post about it... here is the link How to Make Your Own Apple Cider Vinegar



No comments: