Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Raw Apple Cider Vinegar

My parents sent me a large box of apples from Saskatchewan. The apples are very sweet but, a little mealy. I'm really interested in fermented foods lately so I've decided to to try making my own Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. I started my brew on Saturday - they started bubbling almost right away. I checked them last night again and they are starting to smell boozey already - exciting!

Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 10 parts apple juice (I am loving my new Hurom slow juicer btw:)
  • 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar (as a starter - Bragg is a great brand) OR
  • 1/2 pkg champagne yeast to 10c of apple juice (if you want things to progress more quickly)
Pour into a large clean glass container cover with something breathable and stir daily. Keep sniffing and when it stops bubbling and smells like vinegar give it a taste and see if it is ready. Rack and bottle. Keep the cloudy sediment at the bottom - it is called the "mother" and is the yeasty goodness (starter) you will want to use to make more batches in the future.

Because my apples were mealy they came through the juicer a little mushy - and not as clear apple juice I'm hoping the mush will break down more and I'll strain off the liquid - I'll post some photos soonish.

No comments: