Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Summer Head Cold - Raw Garlic Soup

Ugh. Am I the only one who would like to strangle people who come to work sick and pass it around? I for one would rather handle the extra work load than catch a nasty head cold. But people do and colds are a part of life. I have fought - it is settling in and instead of being angry at my thoughtless coworker. I'm turning my mind to juice and food so I can assist my body in recovering as quickly as possible. So a list of a few natural things I do when I feel a cold coming on...

  1. Oregano Oil great for the immune system and sinus - don't take the drops straight they will burn the inside of your mouth instead put 2-4 drops in tea or water with a bit of sweetener - or what I do get veggi caps from a health food store (the kind to make your own vitamin capsules with) and mix 4 drops of oregano oil with grapefruit seed extract. I take 2 or 3 of these a day - never on an empty stomach when I feel something coming on.
  2. Garlic, onions and ginger all great immune system builders. If I'm feeling really lousy I'll make ginger tea (cut up ginger steeped in boiling water for 10 minutes or so - I let it cool and drink it with a little lemon juice, cinnamon and black pepper as a tea). Garlic/Onions - I make garlic soup when I'm sick - I think it works just as well or better than chicken soup (just as tasty too - recipe at the end of this post).
  3. Orange Juice - fresh squeezed of course :)
  4. Hot Bath - I'll put in a bit of dried yellow mustard and epsom salts if I feel I need to sweat it out.
  5. Rest - sometimes giving up the fight and just sleeping it off is the best remedy of all.
RAW Garlic Soup
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium white onion (about 1 1/2 cup)
  • 1 teaspoon pink sea salt
  • 1pinch of black pepper
  • 4 cups vegetable juice (for this I use a blend of whatever I have on hand usually carrots, celery, and red pepper)
  • 1c walnuts (soaked)
  • 1c cashews (soaked)
  • OR 2C soaked almonds OR 1C nuts and 1 small zucchini (if you use the zucchini only use 3 cups of veggie juice)
  • 1/2 C fresh cilantro
  • 1tsp of curry (or 2tsp of paprika)
  • 1tablespoon of tahini
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • juice of 1/2 lemon, or to taste
Blend all together until smooth in a high speed blender - I keep mine blending in my Vitamix until it is warm. Sprinkle top with Hemp hearts. (I'll find a photo and post a little later :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Fighting a nasty cold myself right now, this is just what I needed!

Berry Blue Toes said...

Hi Jamie,
Maybe they should call this one the North of 60 Cold - everyone seems to be coming down with it. Oregano oil seems to be helping (fingers xed).

evergreen said...

It's so inconsiderate when sick people go to work, and to top it off, they usually don't have the bet hygiene!

Your soup sounds delish, so rich and full of flavor, hope it does the trick:)