Search This Blog

Friday, November 25, 2011

Mineral Make Up - The Greener Choice


For years I've been concerned about what I'm putting in my body and on my body with one exception my makeup. I try to make sure I'm buying cosmetics that are not tested on animals but, I have to admit when it comes to my lipsticks/foundation/shadows et all that stuff - aside from the no testing or containing animal products rule I use what works best and let the chemicals slide - until recently. In the past few months I've become hooked on mineral makeup. Aside from being all natural (read the labels not all the mineral makeups in stores are pure - try to find brands carried by health food stores rather than ones produced by large cosmetics companies). If you are good with colour and want to try your hand at making your own cosmetics it is surprisingly easy and inexpensive.There are several resources online to get you started... If you want to buy good mineral makeups that are ready to use again several sources on line.

Why you might like it…
It's an especially good choice for those with sensitive or reactive skin since it usually contains fewer additives. Mineral makeup is also waterproof and photo-stable (meaning it won’t degrade because of sun exposure), offers a smooth finish, absorbs excess oil, and is economical because a little goes a long way. Another benefit: Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide have anti-inflammatory properties and can have a calming and soothing effect on skin, especially in mild to moderate cases of acne, rosacea, psoriasis and eczema. 


…and why you might not
Mineral makeup isn’t designed to conceal skin conditions or issues such as vitiligo, dark pigmentation, bruising or birthmarks. If you tend towards naturally dry skin - use a cream or oil base before applying foundation powders and blushers. Minerals tend to absorb excess oils which can leave your skin looking flaky or dry if applied alone. In the Yukon because of our long dry winters this can be especially problematic. Remember to drink lots of fluids and hydrate your skin with good quality oils, lotions and creams. Good makeup looks best on a great canvas!

No comments: