Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Allergies I'm scent-sitive.


Sorry I've been away so long. I've been struggling with some health/life issues lately so I've been consumed by that. I have switched back eating high raw instead of all raw now that fall is underway. At first I was feeling healthier but, now I'm noticing my immune system seems to be weakened again. I had almost forgotten how much certain chemicals/scents effect me because my immune system was so strong after my Juice feast that those issues just went away (I was even cuddling my parents cats!). So the scoop I have been having to expose myself daily for the past few months to an air borne allergen that finally knocked me on my butt this Monday. I had been having headaches, sniffles, coughing (usual stuff) but, on Monday my throat started to swell - I couldn't swallow and was having problems breathing - for anyone who has had this happened you know how scary this can be. My doctor described it well. She says when you have an air borne allergy to something like say a certain scented fabric softener. The first time you are exposed it is sort of like someone who has a milk allergy and consumes a bit by mistake - you are uncomfortable for maybe an hour with some bloating or indigestion so it isn't too bad (I sneeze and maybe have a bit of a headache), but if you sit down and decide to eat several bowls of ice cream and top it off by guzzling down a jug of milk you are probably going to end up in the emergency room. Me exposing myself to this allergen daily for months finally put my body in a state of toxic overload. Luckily I have a very good employer who is doing everything in his power to help me stay healthy - our office is a scent free zone but things like this are difficult to enforce. He is trying and so am I so back to my juice and a pure/pure diet - it works - I know it does. The reason I decided to write about it is because I wanted to say I this - I know it is hard but, if you are having similar problems - say something and keep saying something. Don't do what I did and stay at your desk trying to put up with it because you don't want to cause anymore waves - if saying something isn't working walk away. It may not make you very popular with your coworkers but, you don't want to end up at the doctor's office or in the emergency room unable to breathe or swallow - not fun! Sooo the next few posts I think will be about my attempts to coax my immune system back into being strong.
j

No comments: